Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beer for Recovery

Last Sunday, we ran the San Jose Rock n Roll half marathon.  This was my 4th time running the race and Mark's 2nd.  What better motivation to finish a race than a beer sampler lunch after?

The full sampler

We have had the sampler many times before but what better excuse to go with the full 8 than you just ran 13.1 miles?   

We start with the lightest beer and both tolerate the Lightswitch and the Blonde but don't really get excited about any of the beers until the Pale Ale. 

I like the Hefeweizen because I usually like Hefeweizens but can't really think of anything to uniquely describe it and Mark is never impressed. 

The Pale Ale has the hop flavor you would expect but the hop flavor is not too overwhelming.  We both enjoy their Pale Ale and Mark will order is as a pint with dinner when we come out to dinner here. 

Next comes the Jeremiah Red.  I really enjoy this one as it is a little maltier and sweeter but Mark could do without it. 

After is the Nutty Brewnette.  We both enjoy this one and I think is is one of my favorite of the BJ brews.  It has the brown flavor you would hope for and does not have the overwhelming sweetness that causes Mark not to like some browns. 

Then we get to the dark beers.  We both like the Porter but it does not have the really roasted and smoked flavor that our favorite porters have.  (It's no Stone Smoked Porter.) 

Finally, we get to the Stout.  The close brother of the Porter.  The Tatonka Stout is Mark's favorite of the BJ's beers and one of his top three stouts period.  He says it is high in alcohol and is a good beer to cap off all the others.  I think it is a nice beer to have after a good pizza but I wouldn't want it with my pizza.  Definatley a beer we both enjoy. 

I think we would also agree that the beer and the carbs also helped our recovery fore the next day.  And our naps on the couch that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment