Saturday, December 31, 2011

Half Moon Bay Brewing Company

Two weeks ago, Mark and I had a Saturday afternoon free.  I had heard of a brewing company in Half Moon Bay from some friends at work so decided we should check it out.  First of all, it was a beautiful day!  The sun was out and the weather was as good as it could get for December.  Mark and I sat out on the porch of the brewery with views of the ocean. 
Half Moon Bay Brewing Company had 9 beers on tap and a 4 oz sample of each was $1.  Mark and I decided we would get 4 each and then split the stout to round out our samples.  This would allow us to sample all the varieties. 
Mark, the beer, and the gorgeous day!

All the beer

Some highlights:
Sandy Beach Blonde Hefeweizen- This was a Bavarian style hef with the banana and clove flavors.  I didn't have the lemon in it because I like to get the full flavor of the beer.  It was enjoyable in the typical Bavarian Hef way. 
Mavericks Amber Ale- I believe this is their "flagship" beer.  It's the only one that they sell in 22 oz. bottles as well.  It had a nice balance of hops and maltiness. 
California Common- This was a seasonal brew.  Honestly, I don't really know what makes a California Common as they are not as common as the name might make them seem.  It was hoppier than I expected.  I was thinking it would be some thing more like an amber or a blonde and a little lighter.  I liked it and Mark did as well. 
The Stout- Or was it a Porter?  Doesn't really matter, no one can give us a clear answer about what the difference is anyway. :)  I gave this one higher reviews that Mark.  It leaned more on the coffee, chocolate side of things than the smoked flavor he likes but I thought it was really good. 

Mark and I didn't get any food so I'd like to go back and get lunch or dinner in the summer when it's warm to enjoy the beach as well.  The views from the brewery are beautiful and I highly recommend sitting on the porch if it is nice.  The beer is good and overall it was a very nice Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment