Friday, December 2, 2011

Moving onto the Winter Brews

Now that Thanksgiving is over, it's time to move on from the pumpkin and onto the winter brews! 

We started with Snow Day by New Belguim.  We had recently tried a variety pack by New Belguim and I liked all of those so I was excited to try the winter brew.  Here's the description from the New Belguim website:

"Pleasantly hoppy, Snow Day carries the subtle chocolate and caramel flavors of a new brewing malt known as Midnight Wheat. The Styrian Golding, Centennial and Cascade hops bring the backbone of hoppy bitterness to complement the roasty undertones. This beer is the deep garnet of a roasted walnut and presents a creamy tan head, floating artfully atop. Snow Day is bold and hoppy, drinkable and strong."

Upon first pour, Mark and I were surprised about how dark this beer was.  We tasted it and it was very malty with a roasted flavor  I'd say the carmel and walnut flavors were stronger than the chocolate.  Although if I wouldn't have read that those flavors were in the beer, I probably couldn't have picked them out either.  It was pleasant but probably not one I'd buy again. 


Our second beer was Hopsichord by Sierra Nevada.  This really isn't a winter brew.  Beer Camp by Sierra Nevada are a line of beer only sold in Chico.  The benefit to having a sister who lives in Chico!  With the name Hopsichord, I was scared this beer would be too hoppy for me.  However, while definately hoppy, it also has some sweet to it.  Then Mark told me it has an ABV of 10%.  Pretty high!  I wouldn't have guessed it had such a high ABV from it's flavor either.  We both enjoyed this one and if I could find it in the store, I'd buy it again. 

Well, that's it for now.  We have some other new brews in the fridge so hopefully some new reviews soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Mark and Michelle,

    Since people typically drink darker beers in the winter, do you guys mind elaborating on the difference between a stout and a porter?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete